Global Issues Portfolio Reflection
3rd World Farmer Reflection
Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
-Mother Teresa
Describe the game. What was the purpose of the game?
The purpose of this game was for us to realize how hard life is for people in the poor countries.
Describe and explain your strategy during the game.
My strategies in game was basically doing the farming with different kinds of crops because it is not safe when you rely on a single type of crop. They might just fail to grow when others don’t . I only raised chickens to get money because that was least likely to be killed. I gave medicine to the family when they got sick. I also refused to give up my land to other people for money, to prevent diseases. I never let the women have babies because that makes me spend more money on them. At last I bought things like getting a relative to keep my money safe from other people.
What is a short- term decision?
Short term decisions are decisions that people make to get food, to pay for the food, or anything like that.
Why are they bad?
This is bad because it stops them from developing; they would only try to survive not develop.
Why could somebody in a situation of poverty get stuck in a cycle of short-term decision-making?
When they are in a situation of poverty, they get no education and low personal incomes.
They have no money, so they will eventually have to worry about getting the food. The only way to escape this is is learn how make a better profit but they obviously don’t get education on this so they get trapped in this cycle of short-term decision-making.
What is a long-term decision?
Long-term decision is a decision made to get good education or vaccines for diseases.
Why are they good?
They are good because they are things that help them to develop.
Why do long-term decisions lead to development and increased standards of living?
They lead to development because they are all about building schools and curing people so they don’t die. People will get good education and they will make developments. People won’t have to die so soon when they get sick so it will bring the population up.
What did you learn from playing this game?
I learned strategies that can lead you to get prosperous, but on the other hand, I learned how people in poor countries suffer to survive and develop. They could not even get medicines when they needed them, it was so hard to get enough money to cure the family.
Which SLR does this experience identify most closely with and why?
Learn Enthusiastically. Our purpose of doing this game was to learn how hard life is in the poor countries and now I know better than before, about these farmers. If I tried not to learn than it must have been hard to notice these kind of facts.
Which MDG’s does this simulation relate to and why?
End hunger and poverty. People in this game was in a situation of poverty. They needed money for everything! They needed to buy medicines, get educations and many other things to escape the cycle of poverty.
Image (also screen shot onto desktop) – and URL (remember to source properly!)
http://globalissues8iskl.blogspot.com/
One sentence explaining why you chose that image.
I chose this image because this image explains how people get in a cycle of poverty; they can not escape this until someone comes in and give them a hand.
You could include a quote…at the start or the end…this helps to give your work ‘power’.
No comments:
Post a Comment